The "Reality" of Time

 Time is a concept that has many different viewpoints and opinions. Before reading McTaggart's article The Unreality of Time, I believed that time was something that is definite. For example today is October 1, 2020 and that is what it is. I never really questioned time as a reality, except for when I read A Wrinkle in Time, where time and space are bendable. I've always been fascinated with time travel and if it were to be possible how it would affect the future. But other than those sci-fi elements, I never really questioned if time was a reality. 

Now, after reading McTaggart's article, it is clear to see that time is not simply a definite reality. Although my perception of time was different than that of McTaggart's, I do see some similarities in the scenarios he presents. For example he states, "An event can never cease to be an event. It can never get out of any time series in which it once is." I certainly agree with this statement because there is such thing as past, present, and future. If a certain event, X, is before another event, Y, then it will always be, and always has been. The order of events cannot be changed, regardless if time is a reality or not. Things that happened yesterday will always be prior to the events that happen tomorrow. 

When McTaggart explains this "unreality of time," he uses multiple examples and in a way rambles on about the topic. But in a very concise summary, McTaggart says that Time depends on the A-series. But, the A-series is unreal. Therefore, time itself is unreal. The A-series also depends on the B-series and C-series. But all of these series contradict themselves because time cannot be explained without being assumed. And time is not real if it is assumed. 

I was not necessarily surprised by any of McTaggart's arguments and objections, however it was extremely interesting to see how his views really did change my perception of time and it's reality. How do I know today is October 1, 2020? I've just accepted it my whole life, never questioning it. But now I really see that time is not just as simple as past, present, future. 

Comments